General Manager - Denver
Want to boggle the minds of a few thousand perfect strangers? Leave people elated, albeit wistfully recognizing they may have just ended the experience of their lifetime?
Great! We are looking for a dynamic General Manager to lead the Denver market as we activate and transform some of the city’s most awesomazing buildings into a premier event space portfolio. You will be responsible for the Sales team as they work with ever-ready event planners seeking alternatives to the humdrum hotel ballroom and ho-hum convention center. You will manage our unflappable Production and Operations team to help clients turn pipedream PowerPoints into heart-stopping, spine-tingling events that amaze and inspire. And you will be in charge of our Facilities team to make sure our venues are in tip-top shape and in an event-ready state.
Who We Are
We are Non Plus Ultra — a passionate gang of compulsive go-getters, resourceful space-makers, and community-building do-gooders. We activate historic, one-of-a-kind real estate properties by partnering with global brands, visionary artists, and community leaders to create unparalleled experiences. Iconic, timeless, unique… our Denver venues include the landmark Sports Castle, the expansive Brighton, and the versatile Broadway. We work with our partners to create incredible performances, elevated experiences, large-scale conferences, community activations, and mind-blowing events with some of the world’s largest companies including Facebook, Gucci, Pepsi, Refinery 29, etc. We trade in the improbable, dabble in the unimaginable, and go to the edge of what is possible for our partners — that is, after all, non plus ultra.
Who You Are
You’re a self-starter with contagious energy and a commitment to customer success. You are excited to recreate the awesome success Non Plus Ultra has achieved elsewhere in the Mile-high City. Your finger is on Denver’s pulse and you’re feeling the thundering thump of immense opportunity. You are also a creative thinker, extreme listener, and team player. You set high goals (because those are the most fun to crush). You speak our language (which, importantly, does not have a word for ‘No’ but does have a seemingly infinite number of ways to say ‘Yes’). You have no time to waste complaining about what is broken because you’re too damn busy fixing it. You’re looking for a job that doesn’t dim your shine at a company that allows you to burn your brightest.
Digging it? Here are some more details.
- Flat out “own” the Denver business;
- Build, develop and lead a team of highly intelligent, absurdly motivated, and unbelievably positive experts across all our “skill positions” – Sales, Production, Operations, and Facilities – and foster a culture that allows for them to thrive;
- Collaborate with the CEO and COO to formulate annual business plans that align strategic company goals with regional goals, including goals/targets for each of your venues and individual team members;
- Work collaboratively with the CEO and CFO to develop and execute on a budget and personnel plan;
- Work collaboratively with CFO and Controller to manage overall P&L, event P&Ls and strategic initiatives;
- Collaborate with the COO to develop, improve and manage departmental SOPs that are consistent with NPU’s overall operations/approach but adapted, as necessary, to the Denver market;
- Collaborate with the COO to develop, improve, and produce executive-level reports on progress against goals, team and customer health metrics, and other salient KPIs;
- Engage with city, local trade, community, and neighborhood stakeholders as an advocate for events and hospitality in the region specifically and as an active corporate citizen more generally.
- Engage with Denver real estate developers, property owners, brokers and agents to be aware/build a pipeline of potential properties to add to the venue portfolio
- Collaborate with SF and other markets GMs to foster productive cross-market communication and share/promote departmental best practices.
- Lead the partnerships with city-affiliated organizations (e.g. Downtown Denver Partnership, Visit Denver, etc) to develop and operate open-space and pop-up activations that promote both revenues and community engagement goals
- Manage the Denver Sales Team and work closely with the Corporate Marketing Team to generate leads, develop and maintain a robust pipeline, and drive opportunities to close;
- Develop and keep the Sales Team focused on a clear path to hitting revenue targets that are consistent with lead gen activity, pipeline value, and available calendar dates;
- Develop and adapt pricing strategy to optimally manage the calendar for all venues;
- Grow long-term, repeat business opportunities by developing strategic and collaborative relationships with clients at the executive level;
- Seek growth opportunities by developing new business relationships in collaboration with the Business Development team.
Production & Operations
- Ensure events are well-executed and clients are beyond satisfied from the moment the sale is closed through the final load out;
- Ensure that the Production Team has obtained all required event-specific permits and be available to interface with senior regulatory officials as required;
- Supervise event-level budgets and final event-level P&L’s to ensure accuracy and profitability;
- Supervise inventory and purchasing;
- Supervise staffing, ensuring that events are adequately staffed with qualified personnel and in a manner that is compliant with internal and regulatory requirements.
Property Management and Permitting
- Ensure that Facilities has venues that are 24/7 event-ready and in full code compliance;
- Obtain all necessary permits for all venues from all required city departments;
- Manage relationships with venue landlords;
- Manage vendors, including janitorial, trash, pest, etc.;
- Supervise construction projects through Facilities as needed for venues;
- Develop portfolio expansion opportunities.
What are we looking for
- 5+ years of general venue management experience with direct P&L responsibility
- General understanding of commercial facilities/property management
- Experience in managing a sales team in the event or hospitality industry with annual revenues greater than $5 million
- Proven experience providing a high level of client service
- Strong leadership skills
- Posses a general familiarity with employment practices compliance
- Ability to learn and use digital tools (Google Suite, CRM systems)
- Strong verbal and written communicator who is client-oriented and driven to close
- Ability to identify and proactively communicate issues before they become problems
- Must be:
- a self-starter that thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- have strong problem-solving skills and a solution-focused approach to managing the business
- metrics-driven and detailed-oriented to track and execute opportunities well
- able to design/implement needed processes (sometimes from scratch)
- strong team player to make our company even better
- Able to move throughout the Denver venues in a timely manner
- Must be able to walk up and down stairs, be able to lift 25 lbs, and sit/stand for a long period of time
Hours, Pay, and Benefits
- Compensation is $120k to $200k plus profitability-based incentives.
- Paid vacation and health benefits
- Access to fantastic events
NPU is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that no matter your race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, your perspective has value.
OK, one last thing
Not a good fit? Then please share this. We don’t have to tell you. You know you’re awesome. Awesome people tend to befriend other awesome people. Pass this on, help us out, and introduce a friend to a possibly life-changing move. Sounds like a pretty solid minute, to us!